This summer Silversea Cruises is offering 19 diverse itineraries of 6 to 15 days, designed to reveal the quaint harbor towns, romantic countryside and grand historic ports of Northern Europe and the Baltic in the up-close, personal style only small ships can provide.
Accommodating just 296 guests, the all-suite, intimate Silver Cloud and Silver Wind are specifically designed to navigate narrow waterways and channels, offering an irresistible Northern Europe programme that includes the possibility to journey up the Gironde River to uncork the fine wines of Bordeaux; sail under the Tower Bridge into the heart of London; travel up the Neva River to call in the center of St. Petersburg; or cruise into Norway’s narrowest nooks.
“These itineraries will appeal to the sophisticated luxury traveler seeking a more intimate, in-depth exploration of Northern Europe,” said David Morris, Silversea’s executive vice president of worldwide sales and marketing. “Guests on these voyages will enjoy mind-enriching presentations complemented by shore adventures that are carefully designed to create a meaningful connection to the people, places and cultures visited.”
New Adventures Ashore
Silversea’s Northern Europe voyages showcase nearly 60 different destinations with more than 245 optional shore excursions designed to appeal to a variety of interests. Below is a sampling of new optional tours:
– From St. Petersburg, journey to Star City (outside of Moscow) to be a “Cosmonaut for a Day” at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center. Get hands-on training with the rendezvous and docking simulator for the Soyuz-TM space vehicle. View a reconstructed copy of the Russian Mir Space Station and the fully functional hydro-laboratory at the space center still used for the training of future cosmonauts. Witness the massive space centrifuge, incorporated into daily cosmonaut exercises. (A more leisurely tour is also available that omits simulator training.)
– From Helsingborg, learn how to cook the Swedish way with celebrity television chef Tina Nordström “on location” at Nordström’s studio kitchen. Her name is a household word in Sweden thanks to her popular TV series Mat (Food). And she is well known to a U.S. audience through her programme New Scandinavian Cooking on PBS. Enjoy a lecture and hands-on cooking class followed by a delicious lunch featuring your own culinary creations — and the chance to chat and sip wine with the chef.
– From London, enjoy exclusive, after-hours access to two rare and unusual exhibitions at the Queen’s Gallery, Buckingham Palace: “Amazing Rare Things,” a collection of scientific drawings and watercolors of nature from the Age of Discovery co-curated by distinguished naturalist and broadcaster Sir David Attenborough, and “Treasures from the Royal Collection,” shaped by the personal tastes of kings and queens over more than 500 years. Guests will have a chance to view works by such masters as Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt, Canaletto, and Winterhalter, among others.
These voyages will also showcase a diverse enrichment program of noted scholars, writers, and other experts selected from a variety of fields to share their passion, knowledge and insider views for the entertainment and edification of Silversea’s guests.
– Silver Wind departs May 22 on a 10-day voyage (#2816) from London to Stockholm with calls in Honfleur, Antwerp, Copenhagen, Rostock and Ronne. Enrichment Host: Richard Tallboys, former British ambassador twice decorated by Queen Elizabeth. His planned lectures will explore the creation of a single Europe, Scandinavia’s place in history, and Russia’s relationship with western Europe. Silver Sailing cruise fares start at US$5,277 per person.
– Silver Wind departs July 2 on a 12-day, roundtrip voyage (#2819) from Stockholm with calls in Ornskoldsvik, Lulea, Kokkola, Vaasa, Copenhagen (overnight), Helsingborg, Rostock, Ronne, Gdansk and Visby. Enrichment Host: Dr. Lawrence Herson, an Ohio State University professor emeritus and former election analyst for CBS. In 1995 Mikhail Gorbachev invited him to deliver a series of lectures in Russia on the American democratic experience. For Silver Wind’s guests, his presentations will cover Scandinavian history and culture, touching on the role of the Vikings as well as traders, crusaders and war in the Baltic lands. Silver Sailing cruise fares start at US$6,777 per person.
– Silver Wind departs July 21 on a 15-day, roundtrip voyage (#2821) from Copenhagen with calls in Alesund, Gravdal, Honningsvag, Longyearbyen, Tromso, Geiranger and Bergen. Enrichment Hosts: Former U.S. Ambassador Andrew L. Steigman, now associate dean at the School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University.
He will present in-depth lectures on the history and culture of Norway and the Vikings. Also on hand will be Corey Sandler, author of Henry Hudson: Dreams and Obsession, to share insights on Hudson’s adventurous travels. And offering guests an authentic taste of Norway will be Relais & Châteaux guest chef Eyvind Hellstrøm, owner and chef of Bagatelle, Oslo’s famous Michelin two-star restaurant. Silver Sailing cruise fares start at US$9,796 per person.
– Silver Cloud departs August 5 on a 15-day, roundtrip voyage (#1823) from Copenhagen visiting Kirkwall, Lerwick, Thorshavn, Reykjavick, Isafjordur, Akureyri, Alesund, and Bergen, plus an inaugural call to Sylt. Enrichment Hosts: Dr. Peter Crimes, former University of Liverpool paleontologist, will illustrate the culture and history of these northernmost regions with his original photography. Additionally, Dr. Louis René Beres, professor of political science at Purdue University, will delve into world affairs and the perspectives of artists and writers from Denmark, Norway and Germany. And for culinary enthusiasts, the Viking Cooking School will be hosted by Kathleen Bruno, curriculum development manager for Viking Cooking Schools. Early Booking Incentve cruise fares start at US$11,196 per person.
– Silver Wind departs August 19 on a 10-day, Copenhagen-to-London cruise (#2824), featuring a 3-day, 2-night stopover in historic St. Petersburg and calls in Helsinki and Tallinn. Enrichment Hosts: Alastair Bruce, a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce, will be on hand to discuss modern monarchies from Russia to Britain.
And slated to host a special musical enrichment program is Michael Law, musical director of London’s Piccadilly Dance Orchestra. His engaging musical lectures, combining stories, piano and song, will explore the works of Noel Coward, Cole Porter and others. Early Booking Incentive cruise fares start at US$7,985 per person.
– Silver Wind departs August 29 on a 12-day roundtrip voyage (#2825) from London visiting Guernsey, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Stornoway, Kirkwall, Invergordon and Edinburgh. Enrichment Hosts: Brian Hoey, royal biographer and television commentator, will present an illustrated history of the Royal Yacht Britannia, provide an overview of Buckingham Palace and discuss the legacy of Princess Diana. And for epicures, Gordon Bell, brand ambassador and master of Scotch whisky, will share his insights on the art of blending malt whiskies. Early Booking Incentive cruise fares start at US$9,600 per person.