The word’s been thrown around for over a year, but this summer the staycation (or “naycation”) is really en vogue. Even if you stay home, it’s entirely possible to relax, rejuvenate and really “get away from it all” while saving a ton of money. Here are tips for the ultimate staycation:
- Make it feel like you are really taking a vacation like stopping your mail so you don’t have to think (or worry about) bills. Take time off from work, block a week off in your calendar, do everything you’d do if you were leaving home.
- Visit the attractions you’ve always wanted to in your own city. Wanted to kiss at midnight on the Empire State Building? Or visit the newly renovated California Academy of Sciences? Save up to 40% off general admissions prices by buying a Go Card or Explorer Pass from Smart Destinations (www.smartdestinations.com) and see as many attractions as you want for one price.
- Purchase a tent, s’mores supplies and sleeping bags to camp out in your backyard. Not only will you save money in site fees, you’ll be close to a bathroom and kitchen for yummy snacks. Check out www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com for discounts on everything you’ll need.
- Experience the spa without leaving your home. Make a scrub using honey and sugar, an oatmeal/blueberry mask for your face or an aromatic milk bath mixture for a relaxing soak in the tub. Find these recipes and more on www.SpaIndex.com
- Say no to chores, favors for friends or checking your work email. You’re on vacation, so enjoy the time you have to spend with your family and take lots of pictures!